Here’s what YOU need to understand:
1) Rape is way, WAY more prevalent than you seem to think it is. Are there more than five women in your audience? You do the math, and then you run the little fantasy scenario that I just put together in your head, and you tell me how it feels.
2) I ain’t buying any of that “If I can make jokes about genocide, why can’t I make jokes about rape?” Horseshit, unless you made those genocide jokes during a gig at the Srebrenica Funny Bone. You got away with making a joke about genocide because your odds of having a holocaust survivor’s kid in the audience were pretty fucking low.
And if you did happen to have one in the audience, and he heckled you, walked out, and wrote something nasty on the internet… would you be more likely to be a human being and say “Wow. I can understand why that person’s authentic response to what I was doing was so emotional and negative. Maybe my genocide material just isn’t good enough to justify the pain that it inflicts. Maybe I need more skill in order to pull this off.” Or are you gonna be a lousy piece of shit and say, “Yeah, I apologize, I guess, IF YOU WERE OFFENDED.”
Offended hasn’t got anything to do with it, moron.
People have wounds, and those wounds are painful. That doesn’t have shit to do with the weak concept of “taking offense.” If someone talks about Texas being a shitty state, I might “take offense” at that. Fine, whatever. All of us who like comedy are generally in agreement with the idea that “taking offense” is lame, and a comedian should be willing to “offend” whenever he or she wants to.
But causing pain is quite a different fucking matter. Your job as a comedian is to take us through pain, transcend pain, transform pain. And if you don’t get that, you are a fucking bully, and I’ve got zero time for bullies.
I have never heard of Curtis Luciani before, but you can bet I’m going to look him up now. My hat goes off to you, good sir. This is beautifully put.
He really does hit the nail on the head re the difference between causing offence and causing pain, and why some things are acceptable to joke about and others aren’t.
Agreed. It’s a distinction that needs to be made more often.
- newyorkactually reblogged this from franchesscar
- pasarla-alcoholica-porfavor likes this
- checkoutqueen likes this
- porn-music likes this
- franchesscar reblogged this from natashapilotmarket
- sixteentons likes this
- jochiang likes this
- stardust-rain reblogged this from provostsdog
- knellers-happycamper reblogged this from inkstainedchocolateeyes
- christoclese-mccuddles likes this
- thunderboltsortofapenny likes this
- inkstainedchocolateeyes reblogged this from w-indigo-vertigo
- i-turned-into-a-martian reblogged this from w-indigo-vertigo
- kissmyfatsass reblogged this from w-indigo-vertigo
- shantaeshaw reblogged this from elihearts
- vashaclarens likes this
- my-pile-of-good-things likes this
- disgruntledbirdie reblogged this from w-indigo-vertigo
- elihearts reblogged this from provostsdog
- stand-up-and-rebel reblogged this from w-indigo-vertigo
- stardust-rain likes this
- provostsdog reblogged this from w-indigo-vertigo
- mono-kun likes this
- rightouttahere likes this
- frecklyloverface reblogged this from w-indigo-vertigo
- sandwich-thoughts likes this
- anonny125 likes this
- w-indigo-vertigo reblogged this from rapeculturerealities
- foresthippie19 likes this
- crvenatelomara reblogged this from thatfeministdyke
- sowideasea likes this
- ellicepark likes this
- purpleweredragon reblogged this from lampfaced
- purpleweredragon likes this
- the-beer-is-probably-people-too reblogged this from greenscrewdriver
- shine-on-u-crazydiamond reblogged this from feminist-submissive
- shine-on-u-crazydiamond likes this
- iguessyoudcallthisregression reblogged this from thebasterds
- my-feminist-blog reblogged this from thesocialcritique
- hismajestytheking likes this
- armenianghost likes this
- thebasterds reblogged this from mcgriddles
- baron-von-fancy reblogged this from revolution-against-rape
- thegirlisme reblogged this from grapecase
- surrealite likes this
- blueluminous likes this
- madargon likes this
- clarissaaherondales reblogged this from wolfbadtreepretty
- wonderlandleighleigh likes this
- wolfbadtreepretty reblogged this from sezsaaays