Here’s what YOU need to understand:
1) Rape is way, WAY more prevalent than you seem to think it is. Are there more than five women in your audience? You do the math, and then you run the little fantasy scenario that I just put together in your head, and you tell me how it feels.
2) I ain’t buying any of that “If I can make jokes about genocide, why can’t I make jokes about rape?” Horseshit, unless you made those genocide jokes during a gig at the Srebrenica Funny Bone. You got away with making a joke about genocide because your odds of having a holocaust survivor’s kid in the audience were pretty fucking low.
And if you did happen to have one in the audience, and he heckled you, walked out, and wrote something nasty on the internet… would you be more likely to be a human being and say “Wow. I can understand why that person’s authentic response to what I was doing was so emotional and negative. Maybe my genocide material just isn’t good enough to justify the pain that it inflicts. Maybe I need more skill in order to pull this off.” Or are you gonna be a lousy piece of shit and say, “Yeah, I apologize, I guess, IF YOU WERE OFFENDED.”
Offended hasn’t got anything to do with it, moron.
People have wounds, and those wounds are painful. That doesn’t have shit to do with the weak concept of “taking offense.” If someone talks about Texas being a shitty state, I might “take offense” at that. Fine, whatever. All of us who like comedy are generally in agreement with the idea that “taking offense” is lame, and a comedian should be willing to “offend” whenever he or she wants to.
But causing pain is quite a different fucking matter. Your job as a comedian is to take us through pain, transcend pain, transform pain. And if you don’t get that, you are a fucking bully, and I’ve got zero time for bullies.
I have never heard of Curtis Luciani before, but you can bet I’m going to look him up now. My hat goes off to you, good sir. This is beautifully put.
He really does hit the nail on the head re the difference between causing offence and causing pain, and why some things are acceptable to joke about and others aren’t.
Agreed. It’s a distinction that needs to be made more often.
- snilyshipper37 reblogged this from onemuseleft
- snilyshipper37 likes this
- definitelynotsatan likes this
- thegreatnarwhalsmuffin likes this
- classyitalians likes this
- herrokate reblogged this from gemdol
- trustyservant likes this
- sentientblueberry likes this
- spanthedistance likes this
- davidgolbitz likes this
- shmemson likes this
- snack-tray reblogged this from unfocus
- jasmineloehr likes this
- unfocus reblogged this from kalimehndi
- unfocus likes this
- comfortablediscomfort likes this
- estdeusinnobis likes this
- kalimehndi reblogged this from themindislimitless
- homes-skillet-biscuit reblogged this from questionablenerdlygoodness
- milesprower013 reblogged this from all1sees
- eq3ustrian likes this
- femme-rage likes this
- pressedcarnation likes this
- tatonado reblogged this from cheekilyflirtatious
- theslaughteredkelpie likes this
- stereolights likes this
- cheekilyflirtatious reblogged this from melonfucker4
- melonfucker4 reblogged this from mousew15a
- rahrahrahboomdeeay reblogged this from shipallthepickles
- shipallthepickles reblogged this from gabrielsleftwing
- shipallthepickles likes this
- slightecho likes this
- gabrielsleftwing likes this
- mousew15a reblogged this from starkid-kid
- blakehunter17 reblogged this from xdeadpoets
- xdeadpoets reblogged this from thisisrapeculture
- mileya likes this
- albedinety likes this
- emmainneverland reblogged this from barbex
- runninggreen likes this
- bon-courage likes this
- philipnikodem reblogged this from rationalhb
- vantastic-shepard likes this
- mallow-wolf reblogged this from vantastic-shepard
- mallow-wolf likes this
- define-fluorescent likes this
- define-fluorescent reblogged this from madmaudlingoes