Here’s what YOU need to understand:
1) Rape is way, WAY more prevalent than you seem to think it is. Are there more than five women in your audience? You do the math, and then you run the little fantasy scenario that I just put together in your head, and you tell me how it feels.
2) I ain’t buying any of that “If I can make jokes about genocide, why can’t I make jokes about rape?” Horseshit, unless you made those genocide jokes during a gig at the Srebrenica Funny Bone. You got away with making a joke about genocide because your odds of having a holocaust survivor’s kid in the audience were pretty fucking low.
And if you did happen to have one in the audience, and he heckled you, walked out, and wrote something nasty on the internet… would you be more likely to be a human being and say “Wow. I can understand why that person’s authentic response to what I was doing was so emotional and negative. Maybe my genocide material just isn’t good enough to justify the pain that it inflicts. Maybe I need more skill in order to pull this off.” Or are you gonna be a lousy piece of shit and say, “Yeah, I apologize, I guess, IF YOU WERE OFFENDED.”
Offended hasn’t got anything to do with it, moron.
People have wounds, and those wounds are painful. That doesn’t have shit to do with the weak concept of “taking offense.” If someone talks about Texas being a shitty state, I might “take offense” at that. Fine, whatever. All of us who like comedy are generally in agreement with the idea that “taking offense” is lame, and a comedian should be willing to “offend” whenever he or she wants to.
But causing pain is quite a different fucking matter. Your job as a comedian is to take us through pain, transcend pain, transform pain. And if you don’t get that, you are a fucking bully, and I’ve got zero time for bullies.
I have never heard of Curtis Luciani before, but you can bet I’m going to look him up now. My hat goes off to you, good sir. This is beautifully put.
He really does hit the nail on the head re the difference between causing offence and causing pain, and why some things are acceptable to joke about and others aren’t.
Agreed. It’s a distinction that needs to be made more often.
- definitelynotsatan likes this
- mileya likes this
- albedinety likes this
- lisbonloafers reblogged this from barbex
- runninggreen likes this
- bon-courage likes this
- philipnikodem reblogged this from rationalhb
- bell5632 likes this
- mallow-wolf reblogged this from bell5632
- mallow-wolf likes this
- define-fluorescent likes this
- define-fluorescent reblogged this from madmaudlingoes
- walkstherain reblogged this from madmaudlingoes
- walkstherain likes this
- feiwynne likes this
- heavy-veracity likes this
- meghanpower likes this
- ellidfics likes this
- kickair8p likes this
- phosphorescent-naidheachd likes this
- twotwentyonefandomstreet likes this
- silliiboo reblogged this from madmaudlingoes
- madmaudlingoes reblogged this from tsarinajissa
- howolf12 likes this
- rheanamkr reblogged this from becausekellysue
- flange5 likes this
- fanofevrythng reblogged this from becausekellysue
- fanofevrythng likes this
- crepi likes this
- remadi likes this
- ccybby9 likes this
- becausekellysue reblogged this from tsarinajissa
- tsarinajissa reblogged this from flange5
- lostchips reblogged this from onemuseleft
- interlopercloud likes this
- waluigii reblogged this from redefiningbodyimage
- twistedmindstorm likes this
- scarletfestival reblogged this from sakuratsukikage
- scarletfestival likes this
- lellaxleila reblogged this from mindlessfallout
- drasnianfrank likes this
- mysticalchildisis likes this
- aninconvenientgerbil reblogged this from brandnewfashion
- captainamericasnipples likes this
- pokesleepingangels likes this
- the-green-void likes this
- 221b-bakerst-come-at-once likes this
- americancapsicle likes this