Here’s what YOU need to understand:
1) Rape is way, WAY more prevalent than you seem to think it is. Are there more than five women in your audience? You do the math, and then you run the little fantasy scenario that I just put together in your head, and you tell me how it feels.
2) I ain’t buying any of that “If I can make jokes about genocide, why can’t I make jokes about rape?” Horseshit, unless you made those genocide jokes during a gig at the Srebrenica Funny Bone. You got away with making a joke about genocide because your odds of having a holocaust survivor’s kid in the audience were pretty fucking low.
And if you did happen to have one in the audience, and he heckled you, walked out, and wrote something nasty on the internet… would you be more likely to be a human being and say “Wow. I can understand why that person’s authentic response to what I was doing was so emotional and negative. Maybe my genocide material just isn’t good enough to justify the pain that it inflicts. Maybe I need more skill in order to pull this off.” Or are you gonna be a lousy piece of shit and say, “Yeah, I apologize, I guess, IF YOU WERE OFFENDED.”
Offended hasn’t got anything to do with it, moron.
People have wounds, and those wounds are painful. That doesn’t have shit to do with the weak concept of “taking offense.” If someone talks about Texas being a shitty state, I might “take offense” at that. Fine, whatever. All of us who like comedy are generally in agreement with the idea that “taking offense” is lame, and a comedian should be willing to “offend” whenever he or she wants to.
But causing pain is quite a different fucking matter. Your job as a comedian is to take us through pain, transcend pain, transform pain. And if you don’t get that, you are a fucking bully, and I’ve got zero time for bullies.
I have never heard of Curtis Luciani before, but you can bet I’m going to look him up now. My hat goes off to you, good sir. This is beautifully put.
He really does hit the nail on the head re the difference between causing offence and causing pain, and why some things are acceptable to joke about and others aren’t.
Agreed. It’s a distinction that needs to be made more often.
- melody-nelson reblogged this from queenstabbityhawke
- mina-polina reblogged this from evenley
- mina-polina likes this
- evenley reblogged this from catgovernment
- willteachforfood reblogged this from themaefive
- themaefive reblogged this from the-cinnamon-peelers-wife
- nangobitraveler likes this
- beardsex reblogged this from piedpi
- stethoscopesandsigs reblogged this from trashyfiction
- iturnedyouintome likes this
- scarlettsentimentalist likes this
- fozziebearman reblogged this from moonderp
- quailisthestatebird likes this
- quailisthestatebird reblogged this from sirileigh
- lgaba likes this
- the-cinnamon-peelers-wife reblogged this from cheshirecat-of-mischief
- moonderp reblogged this from sirileigh
- sirileigh reblogged this from immatiger
- immatiger reblogged this from darlingicanonlyimagine
- cheshirecat-of-mischief reblogged this from trashyfiction
- darlingicanonlyimagine reblogged this from khaipie
- victory-candescence likes this
- khaipie reblogged this from thedarkirishsilence
- khaipie likes this
- ailingmemory reblogged this from trashyfiction
- havingbeenbreathedout likes this
- thedarkirishsilence reblogged this from trashyfiction
- trashyfiction reblogged this from rayoffuckingsunshine
- trashyfiction likes this
- motionandrest reblogged this from rayoffuckingsunshine
- miss-chanadler-bong likes this
- kkuryla reblogged this from rayoffuckingsunshine
- rayoffuckingsunshine reblogged this from nerdloveandlolz
- xiaovictoria reblogged this from activistaabsentee
- potawewe reblogged this from katdjz
- zels-tower likes this
- frightfullytwee reblogged this from sanityscraps
- itsme-quel likes this
- marshmallowsmars reblogged this from newterrains
- barbayat likes this
- wefalldown likes this
- dist4-trainer reblogged this from ayugeni
- alexithymiac likes this
- ayugeni reblogged this from kajithegreat
- crankymuse likes this
- katdjz reblogged this from imperfectionbydesign
- sourirealisme likes this
- ballisticnarcissistic reblogged this from kajithegreat
- kajithegreat reblogged this from baselessconjectures
- smoking-grace reblogged this from tainted-petals